Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never ever before have a lot of scientific breakthroughs and brand-new methods emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers millions of people the opportunity to reduce or eliminate their need for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio ads are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the fast and painless method to fix vision, but stories are likewise appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Before you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will be delighted with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting recommendations from other doctors or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be tricked by elegant ads about a particular laser. Choose the physician, not the laser. Discover who will actually do your procedure, then ask about that medical professional's qualifications (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Select a physician who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a doctor does not understand can hurt you.
4. Request for information on your doctor's LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. Find another one if your physician will not tell you. For leading surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask what procedures are taken to avoid infection. Search for a center with a sterile or dust-free operating room. Make certain that non reusable parts are not reused. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly sanitized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the danger of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Beware of advertisements pressing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgery is as great as a discount parachute. The potential cost savings are unworthy the danger of receiving less than expert care!
Anticipate to see extremely well after LASIK, however don't anticipate to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as private as each patient. Be careful of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you probably are. You're not purchasing a vehicle; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably offer much better vision than LASIK. Think about waiting till the new lenses are offered. Ask your physician about them more and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, don't forget the advantages: for most individuals, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has improved the vision of millions of people around the globe.